Re: Total NEWBIE

Hi Eric:

   This is a good question. I decided to download HylaFAX because:

   1. It was free.
   2. It worked on my environment (efax did not have Class 2.0 for
      USR Courier V.Everything).
   3. It offered many options that appeared interesting to me for the future.
      I am using the software just to send and receive faxes under Linux, but
      it has plenty of more good features.
   4. It appeared to be a "strong" piece of software. The web page was well
      organized and offered enough information.

   There are things that I don't like, though. For example:

   1. It is not easy to set up for very simple standalone situations. (Reason
      why I first tried efax.) It took me a while to make the daemon work
      properly, and I am always afraid that something is going to break up
      and the service is not going to be provided anymore. Given the nature
      of UNIX, services sometimes get messed up for unexplicable reasons.
      Although, it is much more stable than Win95, for example.
   2. Error messages are too criptic and complicated to understand. Although,
      plenty of logs are provided.
   3. The command line option parser it sensitive to ordering of options. This
      is stupid. A simple function such as getop() would solve that problem.
      Sometimes people forget about it and start having "weird" behaviors.
   4. The cover page cannot be customized easily.

   All around, I like the software. Once you are successful in configuring your
environment, you can have many, many hours of happy faxing.

   Bye,

	Gabriel

--
| Gabriel Fernandez     |                                        |