Re: Broadcasting faxes with the CS protocol

>Brian,
>
>This is just for my information, but how many faxes can you push through
>your 8 modems on your Linux server?  I'm looking to set up a fax server
>for a client, and they are wondering about the capacity of a modem (i.e.
>how many faxes it can send going full bore 24x7).
>
>Thanks for your help!

Patrick,

your mileage may vary but I think the results are good enough to show the
list too. In our test last Saturday we were able to complete 201 faxes in
just 48 minutes. This was a single page fax created in Microsoft Word and
imaged into postscript with the Apple Laser Writer. Only 10 numbers were
bad and 1 modem gave me grief since I had changed some settings prior to
starting the test. I'm using all multitech 2834 ZDX modems sitting in a
ZDXRACK (doesn't make'em faster just looks better) on a cyclades 8yo with
RH 4.1 Linux using a 5x86 AMD w/ 16mgs of Ram. After observing the modems
in action I'm sure I can adjust the timeouts and reques to get even
better performance.
Simply put, I believe you should be able to average 300 faxes/hour on a
properly tuned broadcast fax system.

2 things:
1) If any one can share how the JGPARM calls work differently than the
JPARM on the 4559 port protocol I'd apreciate it.

2) If you live in or around Houston, Tx come to the Linux SIG this
Saturday, in my presentation I'll be touching on Hylafax as a practical
use for Linux. Email for directions.

Still working hard to get that quad pentium pro server for the home!

Brian Walters<------------------------------------>macbnr@compassnet.com
      "How many computers can one have before they become obsessed???"
PM6100w/dos   40mgs     1.5gigs       Mac7.5, Win3.x, Mklinux
K5 PR166      64mgs     7.1gigs       RH 4.1, Win95, SCO 5
Amd 5x86      16mgs     1.6gigs       RH 4.1 w/ HylaFax!!!
486 DX4100    16mgs      .5gigs       Xenix

Alpha UDB 166 24mgs     3.2gigs       RedHat 4.1 Linux  ****For Sale***
http://www.compassnet.com/macbnr/bill_in_hell.html Joke about Bill Gates
    http://www.compassnet.com/macbnr               My home page