Re: Kernel won't compile with PPP support

Randy Dees wrote:

> I have just installed 4.1 from CD and am having severa
> problems as soon as I recompile the kernel.  I was
> previously using debian with kernel 2.0.29 and went to
> redhat for consistency with work.  I was able to compile
> just fine under debian, but when I follow the same procedure-
>
> make most of the net stuff modules, no ethernet support,
> specifically both ppp and slip and all their options are
> compiled as modules.  now i do
>
> make dep ; make clean ; make zlilo; make modules ; make
> modules_install ; depmod -a
>
> and reboot.  The new kernel does come up, but everything in
> the net section gives me an unresolved symbol in (you name
> the module - ppp, slip, plip, etc).o  All other modules
> work just fine.  I do have modversions on; I do have
> kerneld enabled; my scsi adapter is also modularized and
> works just fine.
>
> I will be happy to include any other information that may
> be helpful to fix the problem; I just don't know what that
> might be.  Thanks in advance for any help you may be able
> to give.
>
> Randy

Did you rename or remove the directory with the old modules in it before
installing the new modules?  It sounds to me like you recompiled the
networking stuff into the kernel (not as modules), and then failed to
rename the old module directory.  Go to /lib/modules and rename 2.0.29
to something else (2.0.29-old), and then reinstall the modules.  This
should clear up dependency problems.

Obviously I can't be sure, but it certainly sounds like what happened to
me the first time that I recompiled.

Good luck;
--
Jason Earl
jearl@box100.com

"Cheaper than the Psychic Friends Network"