Kernel won't compile with PPP support

I have just installed 4.1 from CD and am having severa
problems as soon as I recompile the kernel.  I was
previously using debian with kernel 2.0.29 and went to
redhat for consistency with work.  I was able to compile
just fine under debian, but when I follow the same procedure-

make most of the net stuff modules, no ethernet support,
specifically both ppp and slip and all their options are
compiled as modules.  now i do

make dep ; make clean ; make zlilo; make modules ; make
modules_install ; depmod -a

and reboot.  The new kernel does come up, but everything in
the net section gives me an unresolved symbol in (you name
the module - ppp, slip, plip, etc).o  All other modules
work just fine.  I do have modversions on; I do have
kerneld enabled; my scsi adapter is also modularized and
works just fine.

I will be happy to include any other information that may
be helpful to fix the problem; I just don't know what that
might be.  Thanks in advance for any help you may be able
to give.

Randy