Re: Masquerading & diald with RH4.0 ???

On 20 Mar, Jesper Frank Nemholt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I currently have a working PPP setup on my RH4.0
>
> The Linux box is connected to a ethernet LAN where it currently
> runs as a local server for mail, www, ftp etc.
>
> I'd like to make it possible to let the connected Win95 machines
> access the internet through the Linux box and its modem based PPP
> connection.
>
> I've tried to study the PPP-howto and asked a couple of Linux
> wizards, but I'm still a bit lost...

Well - the PPP-HOWTO covers a bit about setting up PPP to link
networks, but it assumes you know what you are doing...

> Some say it's possible to let the Win95 machines access the
> internet, just by adding a new route on the Linux box...
> Is this true, and if yes, the how to do it ???

Yes - PROVIDED that ALL the machines on your local LAN have real, valid
IP addresses. If this is the case, simply make sure that you have IP
forwarding enabled in you Linux kernel (stock Red Hat kernels do have
this enabled) and then tell the win 95 machines that the Linux box's IP
address is their 'router' or 'gateway' in their TCP/IP configuration.

> Other say that I need to do masquerading... but do I need to
> install more components to my full RH4.0 install ???
> I've managed to find ipfwadm, but the ipfw binary file mentioned
> in some of the HOWTO's isn't there...

If you are using invalid IP numbers (or one of the reserved sequences
for unconnected networks), then you must run IP Masquerade - and you
don't need ipfw - just ipfwadm.

Install the HOWTO rpm and look at the IP Masquerade mini-howto in
	/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade

--
Robert Hart                             hartr@interweft.com.au
Voice: +61 (0)3 9735 3586		http://www.interweft.com.au/