Re: Masquerading & diald with RH4.0 ???

Mr. Nemholt

Ask yourself several questions?

1) how many ip numbers do you have?
   If you only have one then you have to do ip masquerading (which is a little
more difficult).  if you have one ask/beg your isp for a class c address or as
many ip addresses as you have machine attached to  your network
2) DO you have a Class C address (a range of over 250 addresses) or did your
ISP give you more than one ip  (e.g. 38.241.72.1, 38.241.72.2 up to 10)?
address?
   if yes  then you assign each of the win95 machines an address and configure
their tcpip stacks to point to your linux machine. assuming that you are using
Microsoft's stack the configuration is done under dial up networking. Having
DNS set up on linux is very helpful also!!!!

if you have multiple addresses you might want to add a couple of route
statements

/sbin/route del default;
/sbin/route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx dev ppp0

once ppp is up.  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx should probably be a router (check with your
isp.

the number of ip numbers is most useful in determining your best
configuration.

Name: James Rem
E-mail: jamesrem@techlink-ltd.com (James Rem)
---- Linux the operating system of choice!!!
Date: 3/20/97
Time: 8:56:21 PM

--- On Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:04:13 +1100 (EST)  Robert Hart