Hayes Optima 288 problems

Hi all,

This is the first time Ive tried the product, I compiled it from source on the
following system.

I have a Sun Sparc 20 running Solaris 2.4.

I compiled the hylafax-v4.0pl1 src using gcc 2.7.2 with no problems at all.

I have 2 modems both Hayes Optima 288s, connected via the a/b splitter cable.
The modems are apparently Class 1+2 fax compatible.

Ive used pmadm to disable the services on /dev/cua/b (the modem of choice).

When I try and use the sendfax program, the modem doesnt respond and I get a
mail
back saying that the modem appears to be hung or failed to respond. The file
/etc/motd
is successfully converted and stored in the spool directory, but no modem
action :(

The same happens if I try and send a pager message.

I was wondering if anyone else out there was using one of these modems
successfully
and if so could they send me a copy of the config file they are using and the
settings
the modem has.

Thanx in advance for any help/hints that can be given,
Glen.