faxcover and "commentsX" fields

Hi.

I'm using the following software:
HylaFAX ver. 4.0 p11 on Linux 2.0.18 (RedHat 4.0)
WHFC 0.2b (Win95 Client)

I'm having a little trouble getting my cover page to work. When
faxcover generates the PostScript from my template, it enters the
following prologue material for the "comments" field:

/comments(note 1
note 2
note 3
note 4
) def
/comments1(note 1)
/comments2(note 2)
/comments3(note 3)
/comments4(note 4)
/comments6756680()
/comments6756680()

It's breaking up the "comments" properly into numbered comments
fields (comments1, comments2, etc.), but the numbered fields don't
show up in my fax. I don't know much about PostScript, but it appears
to be because the "commentsX" definitions don't end with "def." When
I edit the file like this:
/comments1(note 1) def
/comments2(note 2) def
/comments3(note 3) def

it works perfectly (when rendered with GhostScript).

So my question is, why isn't faxcover putting in those "def"s? Is
there something that I need in my template to tell it to do that?

Thanks for any information.
Michael Moss
Blackbox Studios