Re: [hylafax-users] No response to PPS repeated 3 times

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Lee Howard wrote:

James Rich wrote:

I'm having occassional troubles with faxes that appear to be fully sent but hylafax reports them as failures. The receiving fax machine prints out the fax in its entirety so no apparent parts are missing. The latest occurrence of this resulted in the message "No response to PPS repeated 3 times." I'm not sure what to do to resolve this. Our fax hardware is a USR Sportster configured as Class 1. I understand that USR modems are not the greatest fax modems. Is that the problem? If so, what is the most problem free fax modem? Below is the fax session log.

I would suggest updating to 4.3.0 or 4.3.0.3 and re-running faxaddmodem (or port the new changes to the config/usr-xon file to your modem config file) and seeing how that goes (which I think basically is to dodge using +FRS). If that doesn't help then at this moment the best I can suggest is to try a different modem.

Ok we tried a MultiTech MT2834 with disastrous results. Only one fax ever completely sent, all the rest failed with:

REMOTE HANGUP: No response to EOP repeated 3 times (code 54)

The only fax the was completely sent was illegible. faxaddmodem reports the MT2834 as a class 2 modem and does not give the option to configure it as a class 1. So we put back the USR Sportster and upgraded to 4.3.0-rc3. Let's hope that fixes things.

I'm concerned because one of the recommended modems is the MultiTech MT5634 which is the same brand modem as we experimented with. The MT2834 was so bad that is makes me wonder how the MT5634 can be any better? Do modems from the same manufacturer vary that greatly? A possible fly in the ointment could be that the MT2834 is branded as an Options by IBM modem. Don't know if that makes any difference.

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
	- billyskank on Groklaw