Re: [hylafax-users] Sorry, the device is currently in use by another program.

Peter Verhoeven wrote:

I’m now trying to resolve why two of the modems on an older hylafax server are constantly in “Initializing” mode. i.e. they appear to be “wedged” ?

I’ve removed the FIFO’s and config’s for the two devices in question (ttya04 and ttya07). I’ve checked the modems are connected ok, and powered up ok etc.

When I next try to faxaddmodem, I get “Sorry, the device is currently in use by another program.”. Googling this I found that by removing “LCK..ttya04” and “LCK..ttya07” from /var/lock, I can now run faxaddmodem, but when I do it can’t talk to the modem (fails during the speed probe).

When I reboot, the LCK’s reappear. Any ideas?

faxaddmodem will say "Sorry, the device is currently in use by another program" when it sees the lock file for that modem. In this case I suspect that it is faxgetty that has created the lock file. But because faxgetty never succeeds in initializing the modem the lockfiles will almost always be there as it tries over and over. In order to run faxaddmodem you'll need to stop faxgetty first, then remove the lockfile if necessary.

Lee.