Re: [hylafax-users] retransmission and other questions...

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:56:57 -0700 Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >2. When sending some data thru network from client to hylafax server (new version of hylafax) is this transmittion compressed ? Can it be encrypted ?
> It's not compressed or encrypted, no.  You could tunnel it somehow,
> though, but the protocol itself isn't encrypted.

Since Hylafax uses simple TCP/IP communication, we can easily use SSH to encrypt all Hylafax communications.

SSH can tunnel ports, thus any access to a specific port can be encrypted among two systems. You may create a dedicated VPN tunnel or just use encryption on port redirection.

I did it in the past for some other application under FreeBSD, but its been a while so i can't offer more help. I'm sure there are FAQ guides which explain SSH encryption.