Re: [hylafax-users] What is your percentage of hard failures

Peter Schoenster wrote:

Hi,

I am getting over 50% failures in outgoing faxes. It
doesn't make sense to me. It would make sense if I got
100% failure. I'm not talking about busy signals etc.
I'm talking about when hylafax connects to a remote
fax machine but fails to commmnicate, time and time
again.

I get these 2 errors:

ERR No carrier detected = when using Class 1
No answer (T.30 T1 timeout) = when using Class 2.0

The same destination fax will return those 2 errors
depending on what I set for ModemType in config.modem

Did you try my suggestions?

http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2005-08/msg00411.html

If so, what were the results?

If the results still indicate the same thing, then the problem is your USR modem. I have had many a USR modem not be able to handshake with a remote fax machine and would behave exactly as you're describing. In my experience it only happened with a few, perhaps somewhat rare, fax machines, however... it was nothing like 50%.

I've searched the archives and the web and I found 2
guys in the last 4 years who seemed to have the same
problem as me. I sent an email to both. One guy said
it was never resolved and he just used mgetty+sendfax
on freebsd and has been fine with that.

Well, good for him, I guess. I wouldn't read anything into this, though. Back in 2000 I was testing various fax products and had a USR modem that I was using. I found one of these destinations that would report "NO CARRIER" or "no answer" or "T.30 timeout" (all mean the same thing, essentially, when you're the sender - that the modem could not find a fax machine on the other end). I tried both Class 1 and Class 2.0 using HylaFAX, mgetty+sendfax, efax, RelayFax, and another couple of other Windows fax packages (all using this same USR modem). All of them resulted in the same thing. I switched the modem to a non-USR modem (Rockwell chipset) and then the problem went away. I then tried a few different USR modems, and I don't remember exactly, but I seem to recall that all of them had the same trouble.

Perhaps this is normal?

Perhaps it's normal for USR users, but it's not supposed to be normal, no.

Are there fax machines with
which hylafax cannot communicate?

Not to my knowledge. But that's a loaded question, too. HylaFAX relies on the modem for much of the work (more in Class 2/2.0/2.1 than in Class 1/1.0). So if there's a problem with the modem that HylaFAX cannot work around, then HylaFAX can't do much about it.

Lee.