Re: [hylafax-users] batching almost there

On Jul 29, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Bodo Meissner wrote:

Am 2005.07.29 12:10 schrieb(en) offman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

but the whole point is that argument goes out of the window, because you can schedule the time of say 50 faxes without 'jitter', just by setting them to the same "TTS"

It is no problem to have 50 faxes scheduled at the same time. It _may_ be a problem (under certain circumstances) if a job is always requeued in the same interval.

also the fact is that , because the "TTS" is at a milisecond level on

I think time resolution is 1 second but that doesn't matter. (see below)

the submitting of jobs, the chance of 2 remote hylafax systems :
1. having exactly the same "TTS"
2. having the same "retry time"
3. triggering the jobs at exactly the same time.
is going to be fairly remote.

Since it takes the modems some seconds to do their work the two jobs don't need to have exactly the same TTS. I think the problem as in my constructed example could occur when the TTS of the two jobs are only a few seconds apart.
(My example is only a guess what the jitter may be good for.)

The other thing is i think the "jitter" is a myth!!! ( see the last job)

I found this code in version 4.2.1:

            req->tts = now + (req->retrytime != 0
                ? req->retrytime
                : (requeueInterval>>1) + (random()%requeueInterval));

Obviously there seem to be cases when Hylafax uses requeueInterval +/-50%, i.e. jitter.
There are other cases when Hylafax does not use intentional jitter, e.g. when you specify a retry interval (option -I to sendfax).

Either your conditions ensure that you will not get this jitter or maybe it occurs only in special cases.

Bodo

Ahh!!
i've not got that deep into the source yet, which package is that in?
We have no special flags set , as it is a java front end , just a "TTS" but we do SET a re-try of 15 minutes.
Out of over 40 jobs in the last couple of hours , i have not seen any "jitter" added.

hylafax is a new install for our office, I wanted to scrap off our bitware & faxstf systems
over a 5 year period , i have over 30,000 faxes out of faxstf.

lee, is it possible to add a note in the source, just to make sure that at some later date "jitter" is not added , if the -i option is used.
the alternative is to remove the "jitter", but that my not go down too well.