Re: [hylafax-users] Newbie question

Do this:

'apt-get update'
'apt-get install hylafax-client'
'apt-get install hylafax-server'

That will use the Debian apt-get package system to install preconpiled binaries for hylafax. Especially if you are a newbie you want to do this. I'm not a newbie and i still use apt-get for most things. It really smooths over upgrading (especially if you are using Debian testing which i highly recommend).

Debian packages resolve dependencies so any packages that still need to be installed (like libtiff) will be automatically downloaded and installed. I am assuming you have your /etc/apt/sources.list file configured correctly. If you don't or are not sure then check out the apt HOWTO (http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html). apt is very powerful and will save you huge amounts of time later on. It is worth learning it. If you keep using stable then you can automatically apply security updates using 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get -V dist-upgrade'. Another good apt command to know is 'apt-cache search /searchterm/' It is very useful for finding packages. The search for hylafax, for example returned both hylafax and some interesting third party tools:

mark@mark:~$ apt-cache search hylafax
capi4hylafax - Faxing over CAPI 2.0 device
gfax - The GNU HaliFAX Sender
ghfaxviewer - The GNU HaliFAX Viewer
gnue-reports - An XML-based output-independent reporting system
hylafax-client - Flexible client/server fax software - client utilities
hylafax-doc - Flexible client/server fax software - HTML Documentation
hylafax-server - Flexible client/server fax software - server daemons
lg-issue25 - Issue 25 of the Linux Gazette.
libfax-hylafax-client-perl - Simple Perl client for HylaFAX fax server
mark@mark:~$

Major props for going with Debian as your first distro. I did it and it cost me allot of time. It was worth it for the Linux knowledge that i gained.