Re: [hylafax-users] EASIEST Way to Create Faxcover

I used xfig.  For each field I wanted to appear in the output,
I entered text of the form ZZ<fieldname>.  Write the cover page as
PostScript.  One way is:

fig2dev -L ps cover.fig cover.ps

I then ran this little Perl program to edit the PostScript:

#!/usr/bin/perl

#
# If the xfig form, all HylaFAX cover keywords are to
# placed where the strig ZZ<keyword> appears.  So,
# this simple script changes (ZZkeyword) to just keyword.
#
#

use strict;

while( <> ) {
    if ( m/^.*\(ZZ.*$/ ) {
        s/\(ZZ([^\)]+)\)/\1/g;
        print;
    } else {
        print;
    }
}

All this program does is remove strings like '(ZZtodays-date)'
and puts in 'todays-date'.  Some other samples on the website
have more complex ways of doing this, but you really don't need
to do all that.

So:

./mod.pl < cover.ps > cover.hylafax

This should work for any program that creates reasonable PostScript.
Note: this pretty much excludes any Windows based programs.

To test:

#!/bin/sh
faxcover -C ${PWD}/cover.hylafax \
        -f "Mike Porter" \
        -n "(302) 831-1234" \
        -x "Big Company We Buy From" \
        -l "Philedelphia, Pennsylvania" \
        -L "Newark, DE" \
        -N "(302) 831-0000" \
        -p 27 \
        -r "What is this FAX about, anyway?  Any how long can this be?" \
        -t "My it's Windyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" \
        -v "(302) 831-0000" \
        -V "(302) 831-0000" \
        -X "University of Delaware" \
        -c "`cat ${0}`" \
         > c.ps

you can then view 'c.ps' to see how the coverpage looks.  The comments
are the script above.

Mike