Re: [hylafax-users] Mac OS X chpass -a dilemma

Xavier,

Thanks for the quick response!

On Mar 17, 2005, at 0:33, Xavier Blanco wrote:

Don't do this in this way under Macosx. Craete de uucp user and group using
Netinfo Manager in Utilities.

I did create the uucp user and group (along with the bin and fax users) using NetInfo Manager. However, (if I understand this correctly) faxsetup checks for the uucp user in /etc/passwd, and NetInfo Manager does not add users to /etc/passwd when new users are created.

I tried running faxsetup without successfully adding uucp to /etc/passwd and received the following error:

---8<---

You do not appear to have a "uucp" user in the password file.
HylaFAX needs this to work properly, add it [yes]?

There was a problem adding user "uucp" to /etc/master.passwd;
the command failed with:

"chpass: -a is only supported for /etc/master.passwd
chpass: rebuilding the database...
pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
pwd_mkdb: at line #1
pwd_mkdb: /etc/pw.aHmHbz: Inappropriate file type or format
chpass: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged"

HylaFAX will not work until you have corrected this problem.

-------

faxsetup runs into the same problem I did when I tried to run chpass manually.

Xavier, have you gotten HylaFAX to work on Mac OS X?

Thanks again for your response!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com