Re: [hylafax-users] recomended modems

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Lee Howard wrote:

> On 2005.01.28 14:15 Bill Binko wrote:
>
> > http://tinyurl.com/5vb4z
> >
> > Is this model supported?
>
> Yes it is.  There are several "DataFire" lines made by Digi.  The ones
> that are supported are always called "RAS".  The AccelePort RAS modems
> (analog) are also supported by the same driver and firmware.

Excellent!  I found an old post of yours about Frank making these work: I
suppose I should thank him if I get one.

> These will show up on eBay at the rate of about one or two per month as
> dialup ISPs dump them.  A 24-channel one sold earlier this week for
> $205.  That's a good buy.  I bought a 24-channel one a number of months
> ago for $650, and my client thought that was still a good buy.  Take a
> look at the "new" retail price on them, and you'll know why.

This is good to know: I might have jumped at this one at more than I
should have.  I have no need for 48 ports, but I've been discussing moving
from analog to digital with a client, and a 24 port would be nice.  I've
been reading about this one, and it looks like DID is supported which
would be a must if we go that route.

Do you happen to know if they'll handle a fractional T1?

> Yeah, and now that we've had this conversation here, demand on them is
> going to jump, and thus the prices will too.  :-)

I'm not sure we have enough traffic to move the market, but to I'd love to
have more Hylafax users have access to these: the more large users we get,
the more professionals looking at the code base.

> One thing to take note of on these cards, though, is that the firmware
> that is included in the driver that Patton currently supplies on its
> website is not the newest one that they have, and you'll probably need
> something newer than that one for fax use.  People have been able to
> get the newer firmware from them, so I suspect it just involves a call
> or a closer look into their ftp site or something.

Excellent to know.

This actually completely changes my answer to a question a friend asked
about the viability of a business venture.  My argument was that at $6k+
per 24 port fax board, the initial investment would make it hard to
recover.  At $600 for 48 ports, that math needs to be reconsidered.

Thanks (as always) for the quick, knowledgeble answers.

Bill