Re: [hylafax-users] recomended modems

On 2005.01.28 14:15 Bill Binko wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/5vb4z

Is this model supported?

Yes it is. There are several "DataFire" lines made by Digi. The ones that are supported are always called "RAS". The AccelePort RAS modems (analog) are also supported by the same driver and firmware.

This is the 48-channel version (two T1s). There is also a 24-channel version (one T1). Both have two jacks. The 48-channel one has an additional daughter-card, I believe.

These will show up on eBay at the rate of about one or two per month as dialup ISPs dump them. A 24-channel one sold earlier this week for $205. That's a good buy. I bought a 24-channel one a number of months ago for $650, and my client thought that was still a good buy. Take a look at the "new" retail price on them, and you'll know why.

It looks like it might be one rev back (no
33.6
faxing?) but for $900 buy it now and $350 starting price, it might
work
for somone on the board.  Hell, if it looks like it's going for <500,
might do it (48 ports!).

I'm guessing that this will sell for at least $600. It depends on who is watching for these. Don't worry, though, I'll not be bidding on this one ;-) My clients tend to prefer the "Buy it Now" options to avoid losing the purchase, anyway.

Yeah, and now that we've had this conversation here, demand on them is going to jump, and thus the prices will too. :-)

One thing to take note of on these cards, though, is that the firmware that is included in the driver that Patton currently supplies on its website is not the newest one that they have, and you'll probably need something newer than that one for fax use. People have been able to get the newer firmware from them, so I suspect it just involves a call or a closer look into their ftp site or something.

Lee.