Re: [hylafax-users] Upgrade: 4.1.6 to 4.2.1

On 2005.01.19 21:10 James A. Mutter wrote:

Second, the question: We'd like to upgrade to v4.2.1 and I'm curious,
is this a
seamless upgrade?  Can I just build the new software and drop it right
in on
top of the existing installation, or is it more complicated than that?

Anything I should look out for?

In general the upgrade from 4.1.6 to 4.2.1 should be seamless and without any gotchas. I can't think of anything that would be of any difference.

If you're using Class 1 then most of your faxing is going to shift into ECM by default. I don't see this being a problem, but on the off-chance that it does, you can disable ECM with Class1ECMSupport (but, you really want it, trust me).

If any of your outbound faxing is "batchable" then it will be batched by default. Again, this shouldn't be a problem, and you probably don't do much batchable faxing by the sound of it.

Of course, and as always, if you run into problems, let us know.

Just make sure that you do the upgrade in the same manner that the original install was done. RPM installation, do RPM upgrade. tarball installation, do tarball upgrade. apt-get installation, apt-get upgrade. Otherwise you're bound to end up with two different sets of HylaFAX binaries all over the place.

Lee.