[hylafax-users] steps for Hylafax on Suse Standard Server 8 and SLOX 4.1

Lee Howard wrote:

> On 2004.10.27 07:54 pheonix1t wrote:
>
>> hello,
>> I'm trying to setup hylafax on SLSS8, (suse standard server 8).
>> Is this Q115 document still relevant?
>

> Possibly, but probably not.
>
>> I see the version they speak of is a bit old.
>> I'm running an external modem on /dev/ttyS0.
>>
>> I tried following the the procedures on this webpage
>> http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html#ss2.3.2
>>
>> but it's not working. It's not dialing...
>

> Logs. Show us logs. In your /var/spool/hylafax/log/ directory you have logs. If there is nothing there then look in /var/log/messages. You may need to set:
>
> ServerTracing: 0xFFF
> SessionTracing: 0xFFF
>
> in your modem config file.
>
> Lee.

for what this is worth! I got hylafax working with the help of the document Q115, but there were some steps to be ignored - other steps really helped.
In my situation (Suse STandard Server 8, all up to date with patches), I just installed the Hylafax RPM from the disks.
So, for step 2 - is should just say install from SLSS or SLES disks.
I skipped over step 3 since the modern SLSS or SLES can check for dependancies

step 4 is still relevant

step 5 doesn't apply to USA

step 6 still works

step 7 still works
step A works
step B I skipped
step C and D were a bit weird, I did not find the ModemDialCmd on my file

step E I used rchylafax start

step F is important, this still applies
Step G I skipped
Step H I skipped
Step I is helpful, but I didn't reboot, I just started the hylafax and faxgetty process from before

Hope this helps!
How can we update this and put it on the FAQ section? Getting info. for the modern versions of Suse and hylafax would be very helpful.

Regards,

Oskar