[hylafax-users] hylafax and c2faxsend (TIFF problem)

Hello,

I'm having problems sending faxes with Hylafax using c2faxsend (and have
found a report from someone else with a similar problem). It is possible
to send faxes with c2faxsend in "standalone" mode, but it does not work
with hylafax queue files (unless 2-D MR is turned off).
I'm using an AVM A1 PCI ISDN card (the other person with the same
problem was using an AVM B1).
Two questions:
- - Has someone experienced a similar problem as the one described below?
- - Any idea how to correctly contact the authors of capi4hylafax?
~  I only found the following address in the CVS version:
~  cvs-capi4hylafax@xxxxxx
~  I did send a mail to that address but did not get a reply so far.

Sending faxes with c2faxsend works fine:
c2faxsend -v -f TIFF -d XXX FILE

The output of this command:

Try to connect to fax number XXXXX in TIFF mode on controller 1.
Dial and starting transfer of TIFF-File fritz_pic.tif with fine resolution.
Connection established.
~        StationID = +XX XXX XXX
~        BaudRate  = 9600
~        Flags    = HighRes, MR_compr, No_ECM
Page 1 was sended. - Last Page!
Fax file completely transfered to CAPI.
Connection dropped with Reason 0x3400 (No additional information).

The exit message sounds strang, but at least it works (and the exit
status is 0 anyway).

But I cannot send faxes using Hylafax when using c2faxsend as SendFaxCmd
(receiving faxes works fine).
sendfax -f TIFF -d 5072944 /tmp/fritz_pic.tif

I next tried to use c2faxsend with the hylafax send queue file:
c2faxsend -v -d XXX sendq/xxx

The output of c2faxsend does not change. However, the exit status is now
2. (The other person with a similar problem did not mention that the
exit status was not 0 for him).

Next I tried to send the TIFF file generated by hylafax directly:
c2faxsend -d 5072944 -f TIFF sendq/doc26.tif\;c0

I also tried sending the cover page:
c2faxsend -d 5072944 -f TIFF sendq/doc58.cover;c0

Both commands return exit status 0, but no fax is sent.

The TIFF files seem to be ok, I can open them with eg. xv and "file"
reports the same properties for the sample capi4hylafax TIFF file and
those generated by Hylafax (TIFF image data, little-endian).

One problem seem to be the generated TIFF files. If I use
"sendfax -1 ...", sending "basically" works (see below).
Modifying ps2fax works, too (setting device=tiffg3 after command line
switch processing).

But this still only solves one part of my problem:
The exit status is still 2. The fax is now sent successfully, but
Hylafax thinks it did not work an resends the fax. I tried writing a
shell wrapper which simply sets the exit code to 0 (if it's 2), but that
is not good enough. I suppose c2faxsend communicates with the Hylafax
queue runner and tells it something went wrong (using a FIFO?), right?

As mentioned before, the hardware is an AVM Fritz A1 card.
The software:

OS:		Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Hylafax: 	4.2.1
capi4hylafax:	01.02.03 or CVS (16.1.2005)
Ghostscript:	7.05
libtiff:   	3.5.7 (also tried 3.7.1)

For those of you who speak German - another person already described a
very similar problem (using SuSE 9.0).

Any ideas? Thanks, Michael

- --
Michael Redinger
Zentraler Informatikdienst (Computer Centre)
Universitaet Innsbruck
Technikerstrasse 13                    Tel.: ++43 512 507 2335
6020 Innsbruck                         Fax.: ++43 512 507 2944
Austria                                Mail: Michael.Redinger@xxxxxxxxxx
BB98 D2FE 0F2C 2658 3780  3CB1 0FD7 A9D9 65C2 C11D
http://www.uibk.ac.at/~c102mr/mred-pubkey.asc