Re: [hylafax-users] Class 1 or Class 2?

On 2004.12.28 14:56 Stephen Carville wrote:

Anyone have any experience on how well the Class 2 firmware on the
Multitech
cards works?

I do.

Most of my experience was with Class 2.0 and Class 2.1 on the MultiTechs, though. I'd stay away from "Class 2" because last time I checked, there were bugs there.

I ended up switching from Class 2.1 to Class 1 and then to Class 1.0 on most of my MultiTech installations. I did this mostly because I'm a finicky faxer, and I like to see the protocol exchange during the faxing show up in the logs so that I can analyze any problems. In the future using Class 1/1.0 will be the only way to get certain features such as JBIG support, which isn't even documented in the Class 2 specifications. HylaFAX's resolution support has more options in Class 1/1.0 than MultiTech's does in Class 2/2.0/2.1, but that's about the extent of the differences right now.

Steve Tuckner and I like to debate against one another whether Class 2.0 or Class 1 works better or whether Class 2.1 or Class 1.0 works better. I've had tests that favored Class 1/1.0, and Steve had tests that favored Class 2.0/2.1. But the errors were on the much-less-than-one-percent margin, and at that frequency they are very hard to duplicate and analyze. One silly fax machine can screw up the results either way.

So I think that you're relatively safe either way.

Lee.