Re: [hylafax-users] tiff g3 compression 1d or 2d

Sebastian Flothow wrote:
Am 2. Dez 2004 um 09:01 Uhr schrieb Michele Petrazzo:

I have a tiff (no compress) file and a ps file to send into a multipage
tiff. I convert ps to tiffg3 with gs. After this I concatenate with
tiffcp:

Why do you do this at all? Just hand the TIFF file and the PS file to HylaFAX, it should perform all necessary conversions automatically.

I do this because I want to send to hylafax only one file, so when a
client make a request to hylafax for retrieve that fax, it will receive only one file.

Unexpected failure converting TIFF document; the command
/usr/bin/tiffcp -i -c g3:1d -f lsb2msb -r 9999 docq/doc232.tif.222 docq/doc232.tif;01\
failed with exit status 9. This conversion was done because: Document requires reformatting, client is incapable of receiving 2DMR data.

I don't see any reason for this conversion to fail; you might want to try this manually, maybe it outputs a more useful error message.

I have made a lot of tries. At the end, I understand that is a libtiff problem (a libtiff bug), because if I uninstall libtiff 3.5.7 and install 3.7.x, it work!
I try all the cases with the same file and the same command:

command on client: tiffcp -s -c g3 from_gs.tif other.tif out_1.tif
command on server: tiffcp -c g3:1d -r 9999 -f lsb2msb in.tif out_2.tif

on client - on server - exit code server
  3.5.7       3.5.7         9
  3.7.x       3.5.7         9
  3.7.x       3.7.x         0

The surprise is that if a try to send the file out_2.tif (I have modified the tiff2fax on server), the fax is send correctly.

I send an e-mail to tiffcp mailing-list and the developers say me to upgrade libtiff because 3.5.7 is very old and it have a bug in the return code, so the file is right, but the exit code is 9, not 0!

For now, until when hylafax not upgrade to libtiff 3.7.x, I must modify tiff2fax script for make a control of the "new" exit code (9).

And why this program say to bin/tiff2fax to convert the file?
As it says: the receiving fax machine is incapable of receiving 2DMR data, so it has to be converted to 1D.
Ok!

Thanks,
Michele Petrazzo