Re: [hylafax-users] Repost - HylaFAX not honoring T.31?

On 2004.11.26 18:31 Steve Underwood wrote:

If my softmodem replies "0,1.0" faxgetty sticks as the point where it is waiting for the reply to "+FCLASS=?", until a timeout occurs.
If my softmodem replies "0,1" faxgetty is happy, and I can send and receive faxes successfully with my softmodem.

Attached is the patch to fix this problem. Thanks for reporting it. The patch has been committed to CVS-HEAD.

Although I can get HylaFAX to work, "0,1" does not comply with the spec. and I am not happy about that. I realise the spec is much abused. Some modems document that "1" will give you a modem like the T.31 spec. and "1.0" will give you a modem like the V.34 supplement to T.31. They claim this complies with T.31, but T.31 does not concur with that view.

It's a long story.

The "old" spec (EIA/TIA-578) indicated a response of "1" to AT+FCLASS=? in order to indicate support for that recommendation.

When T.31 was developed there were three new AT commands added to it (the only significant one, and the only one I can remember at the moment is +FAR). And so to distinguish the new recommendation from the old one the specified response to AT+FCLASS=? was indicated as "1.0" instead. Some time later Annex C was added to T.31, which enables V.34-Fax. There may have been some subtle differences between EIA/TIA-578 and T.31, but I do not know of any except for various implementation clarifications that were made and other types of suggestions (mostly involved with timing and the usage of +FRS/+FTS).

So some manufacturers, notably Conexant, support "Class 1.0" and that means that the modem supports those three new commands that were new to T.31, but those chipsets, as of yet, do not support V.34-Fax. Other manufacturers, notably Agere, support "Class 1.0" and that means that the modem supports V.34-Fax, but those chipsets, as of yet, do not support the three new AT commands. So, again, we find a bit more disparity in the fax world.

In order to make your softmodem work reliably with other software packages I recommend that your response to the AT+FCLASS=? be "0,1,1.0". This would be interpreted to indicate support for data (0) EIA/TIA-578 (1) and T.31 (1.0). Of course, with the attached patch HylaFAX will have no problem with the response as you desire.

Thanks, (and thanks for the work that you're doing now)

Lee.