Re: [hylafax-users] is this possible.

I think it's possible, but tricky!  I'm currently developing an egetty for
handling all of voice, fax, and data calls without distinctive ring using the
"vm" progrm of the vgetty voice extensions.   "vm" acts as a backend while
the user can customize the front end with a perl script.   The script I have
is for a standard answering machine:  switch the modem to voice mode, answer
the telephone, and play a greeting.  If fax or data tones are heard, exit and
return the call type for further processing.   To implement the features
you're looking for,  there needs to be some code to detect when a human has
answered the phone.  A ring is six seconds long(at least in the US) so this
could be detected as an absence of rings for more than six seconds.  ( This
also might possibly be detected by a "local phone off-hook"  event but I
don't know if that would work when the phone is ringing)  At this point,  the
modem would go "off-hook" and listen for fax or data tones.  If none are
heard within another timeout (probably shorter than the first) it must have
been a voice call, so then just go back on-hook and exit.  Otherwise, handle
the fax or data call.

I'm hoping to release a patch and scripts for the egetty next week if I can
debug an error in which the serial port has become unusable when control
returns to hylafax.

George