Re: [hylafax-users] Error: Can not determine file type, Debian Package bugs?

Il mer, 2004-08-18 alle 16:16, Hugh Esco ha scritto:
> Hello all:

Hi Hugh,
I have been trying to send you private responses but I always get this
error:

Remote MTA pk.greens.org: SMTP diagnostic: 553 interbusiness.it banned
FOR IGNORING SPAM COMPLAINTS.  Please complain to your service provider.

Of course I did contacted my provider and, one month ago, they told me
they were contacting your provider.

Now, back to your problem:

> Our fax server has been down for perhaps 45 or 60 days now, ever since a
> recent apt-get upgrade revved the version.  I'm finally sitting down to
> work through the error messages I'm getting.  So far, the steps I have
> had to take that were not addressed by the Debian packaging system have
> included:
>
> root@biko:~/hylafax# chmod 600 /etc/hylafax/hosts.hfaxd
> root@biko:~/hylafax# chown uucp:uucp /etc/hylafax/hosts.hfaxd

These two steps are done by the installation procedure. Did you noticed
that the uid where changed *during* the installation process?

> 	which got the Login failed: 530 Login incorrect. errors to go away.
>
> cp /etc/old/hylafax/pagesizes /etc/hylafax
>
> 	which did away with: Unknown page size default

Every time a new package is installed, the pagesizes file is changed in
order to add a new line with default pagesize that are read by libpaper.
What is the default papersize you setup in libpaper?

> manually ran:
> /usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0
> /usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1
>
> and added to inittab:
> #  http://www.hylafax.org/archive/1999-06/msg00085.html
> fg0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0
> fg1:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1
>
> 	which got faxstat to stop telling me:
> 	HylaFAX scheduler on biko.office.gpga: Not running

This is inconsistent: you should either run it manually (the preferred
way) or run it via init. There is a parameter that define the hylafax
behaviour in /etc/default/hylafax.

> So far, though, I remain stumped by the following sendfax error:
>
> 	Can not determine file type
>
> That is in response to both .pdf and .ps files.
>
> The Sendfax man page provides a wholly unhelpful description of this
> error message.
>
> %s: Can not determine file type. sendfax was unable to deduce the type
> of the file.
>
> Google has offered nothing.  The real question is:  not what does this
> error message mean, but what is it I should do about it?

Whenever the hylafax server receive a file, it tries to understand what
kind of file it is, in order to correctly convert it to tiff/g3.
The configuration file /etc/hylafax/typerules is used for this. Do you
have this file installed?

> == Hugh

Bye,
Giuseppe