[hylafax-users] Error: Can not determine file type, Debian Package bugs?

Hello all:

Our fax server has been down for perhaps 45 or 60 days now, ever since a
recent apt-get upgrade revved the version.  I'm finally sitting down to
work through the error messages I'm getting.  So far, the steps I have
had to take that were not addressed by the Debian packaging system have
included:

root@biko:~/hylafax# chmod 600 /etc/hylafax/hosts.hfaxd
root@biko:~/hylafax# chown uucp:uucp /etc/hylafax/hosts.hfaxd

	which got the Login failed: 530 Login incorrect. errors to go away.

cp /etc/old/hylafax/pagesizes /etc/hylafax

	which did away with: Unknown page size default

manually ran:
/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0
/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1

and added to inittab:
#  http://www.hylafax.org/archive/1999-06/msg00085.html
fg0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0
fg1:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1

	which got faxstat to stop telling me:
	HylaFAX scheduler on biko.office.gpga: Not running

So far, though, I remain stumped by the following sendfax error:

	Can not determine file type

That is in response to both .pdf and .ps files.

The Sendfax man page provides a wholly unhelpful description of this
error message.

%s: Can not determine file type. sendfax was unable to deduce the type
of the file.

Google has offered nothing.  The real question is:  not what does this
error message mean, but what is it I should do about it?

== Hugh