Re: [hylafax-users] Error: Can not determine file type, Debian Package bugs?

Giuseppe:

Thank you for the heads up about the spam complaints.  I'll ask our
server administrator to whitelist your ip, if I can dig that up
somewhere.

I just copied /etc/old/hylafax/typerules to /etc/hylafax.

The error I'm getting now says:
root@biko:~# /etc/init.d/hylafax start
ERROR: /var/spool/hylafax/etc/pagesizes is newer than
/etc/hylafax/pagesizes
Please send a bug report on the hylafax-server package

so - - -

root@biko:~# ls -al /var/spool/hylafax/etc/pagesizes
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Aug 17 16:24
/var/spool/hylafax/etc/pagesizes
root@biko:~# ls -al /etc/hylafax/pagesizes
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         3316 Apr 19 01:57
/etc/hylafax/pagesizes
root@biko:~# cp /etc/hylafax/pagesizes /var/spool/hylafax/etc/pagesizes
cp: overwrite `/var/spool/hylafax/etc/pagesizes'? y

then - - -

root@biko:~# /etc/init.d/hylafax start
ERROR: /var/spool/hylafax/etc/typerules is newer than
/etc/hylafax/typerules
Please send a bug report on the hylafax-server package

and - - -

root@biko:~# ls -al /etc/hylafax/typerules
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         6408 Jan 31  2004
/etc/hylafax/typerules
root@biko:~# ls -al /var/spool/hylafax/etc/typerules
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Aug 17 16:24
/var/spool/hylafax/etc/typerules
root@biko:~# cp /etc/hylafax/typerules /var/spool/hylafax/etc/typerules
cp: overwrite `/var/spool/hylafax/etc/typerules'? y

which yielded:

root@biko:~# /etc/init.d/hylafax start
Starting HylaFAX daemons: faxq hfaxd faxgetty.
root@biko:~#

and finally:

hesco@biko:~$ ./fax.sh
Password:
request id is 1 (group id 1) for host localhost (1 file)

	<---  That was pretty exciting.
	<---  Hadn't seen that in quite a while.

Thanks for the clues.  Happy to have this working again.  I'll check it
out with a test broadcast and see what happens.

My prior experience was that hylafax installed cleanly "out-of-the-box"
as it were, using apt-get install, faxsetup, addfaxmodem and addfaxuser.
I had never had to jump through these sorts of hoops before.  And this
is probably my third or fourth install from the Debian packaging system.

Not knowing much about the .deb packaging system, I can't really offer
you any patches, I'm afraid.  But perhaps this experience might inform
the work of someone who does speak that language.

-- Hugh Esco