[hylafax-users] Somewhat OT: Need to overlay data onto form prior to faxing

I am trying to overlay a preprinted form with form data.  In researching
this I have found the following articles:

http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2002-04/msg00055.html

This article describes exactly what I want to do, but doesn't go into detail
about HOW to do it.

http://www.hylafax.org/FAQ/Q701.html

This article describes watermarking a document with a single line of text,
like "DRAFT" or "CONFIDENTIAL".  Not really what I am looking for, but on
the right track.

I have managed to use ImageMagic tools to do what I am trying to do via the
following procedure:

1.  Convert form from .ps to TIFF (only done once)
2.  Convert overlay data from ASCII to postscript
3.  Convert overlay data from postscript to gif w/ transparent background
4.  Composite form with data, save to TIFF
5.  Fax resultant TIFF file

The main problem with this is getting the data to align properly on the
form, the time and horsepower it takes to make the conversions and
composites, and the size of the resulting files.  If we were to do this in
any volume, it would quickly swamp the server.  This also is limited to
single page faxes without further coding.

What I need instead is a simple tool to overlay two postscript files.
Something like:

"psoverlay <formfile.ps> <datafile.ps> <compositefile.ps>",  where
formfile.ps is watermarked on every page.

I can probably learn some postscript, and hack up a program to this, but
before I set about re-inventing the wheel, does anyone know if such a tool
already exists?  I would think this to be a popular feature if it were added
to Hylafax as part of the sendfax program.

Thanks!

JM