Re: [hylafax-users] Send Fax from VMS (HELP! More questions!)

* Jim Moseby <JMoseby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [040809 15:39]:
> This ended up to be a good solution.  After we dug into hylafax's FTP
> protocol, and looked a lot closer at what has to happen to send a fax, we
> decided to create a directory into which our VMS systems drops a text file
> to be faxed, along with a second file that contains cover page info (To
> name, fax number, from name, etc).  A daemon runs on the hylafax server that
> watches for these files to appear and sends them via sendfax.  Works like a
> charm... EXCEPT:
>
> Most of the faxes we send are 132 column text, and traditionally we have
> faxed them on landscape oriented, legal sized paper.  The above method seems
> to want to wrap the text and squeeze it onto a portrait, letter sized page.
> :o(
>
> My daemon could easily be modified to tell whether a given file needs
> portrait A4, or landscape legal.  How can I tell sendfax what I want?

The fax server only accept PS, PDF or TIFF files.

sendfax converts from other formats to an acceptable format before
submitting them to the server.  This conversion is controled by
"typerules"... You could make the typerules do a specific conversion for
you instead of the default (aimed at "letter/A4" text).

Probably easier is to use a2ps (or enscript, whatever you're most
comfortable with) to convert your text to PS/PDF before calling sendfax.
With postscript, you an control the page layout/orientation/formatting
before giving it to sendfax.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 438-4638 x8103