[hylafax-users] pdf zero length

Hi,

HylaFAX : v4.1.8
Ghostscript : 8.14
libtiff: v3.5.7
sendmail: v8.12.x
Linux : 2.4.26  (Slackware 9.1)

I'm having a problem with faxrcvd sending 0 length PDF files.

Now, I have searched the archives and have found some hits that
gave me a few ideas, but lead to dead ends, so to speak.

Now when I receive a fax, the fax is emailed to the faxmaster.
When I receive it using the faxmaster email address, the resulting
PDF file is zero byte.

Then I go to the fax server, and look up on the last received #,
say 24 and execute:

# bin/faxrcvd "recvq/fax00024.tif" "ttyS0" "00000024" "" "" ""

I get a zero byte PDF file.  (btw, if I change it to TIF, it
works.)

So I manually (as root) execute the aforementioned line.  I receive
an zero byte PDF file.

Then I su as uucp, and run the bin/faxrcvd line.  The result was
again, a zero byte PDF file attached to the email. (Expected result.)

Basically, given the following lines in the bin/faxrcvd script:

$TIFF2PS -2 -a -O $FILE.ps $FILE 2>/dev/null # fax2ps looks bad
$PS2PDF -g$GW\x$GL -r$RW\x$RL $FILE.ps $FILE.pdf  2>/dev/null
$MIMENCODE $FILE.pdf 2>/dev/null
$RM -f $FILE.ps $FILE.pdf 2>/dev/null

(Actually this is the code from the stock script that was installed.)

So, I logged on as root, and ran the commands manually and
the resulting PDF file was non-zero byte.  Except instead of
the "-g$GW\x$GL -r$RW\x$RL", I ignore it. i.e.:
$PS2PDF $FILE.ps $FILE.pdf  2>/dev/null

After executing these commands, the resulting PDF is valid(ie. non
zero), but has the top of the fax truncated a bit.

I then "su uucp", and run the exact same lines and got a valid
PDF file.

I suspected that the -g$GW\x$GL -r$RW\x$RL line was somehow screwing
up the whole process.  So I removed their references and ran
the actual faxrcvd script from the command line.  Got a Zero byte
PDF file.

So, I directed my thoughts on the attachment process.  I changed
the MIMENCODE=mimencode to MIMENCODE=bin/uuencode_it as given by
some ML archive suggestions, and ran the faxrcvd line both as
root and uucp.  Neither worked.  But I think to myself, "But
if I can use mimencode with tif files, I don't see why pdf files
should not work."  So I redirected my attention back to the whole
process and subsequently back to square one.

Can someone possibly provide possible reasons for this
discrepency that I can create a PDF file manually, but
if I run the bin/faxcrcvd script as a whole, it doesn't work?
And why if it does work, the top part was truncated a bit?

Is there a setting that I'm forgetting to adjust?

Any help really appreciated.

Ed