Re: [hylafax-users] Iternet-Fax WG Anyone?

On 2004.08.03 23:00 Bill Binko wrote:

I'm not tied to extending faxmail per se: I just think this would be a
good addition to the Hylafax suite out of the box.

Yes, I think so too. I'm just not a faxmail fan, however. (Yeah, I can hear the defense team perking up already. Sorry, I don't mean to start a debate on it. It's just my opinion, and I don't mean to speak for anyone other than myself.)

I'm open to the idea of getting faxmail up-to-snuff with peoples' expectations (e.g. supporting PDF attachments, among other things), but the big hurdle that I see is that the mail processing sometimes really needs to be highly configurable in order to adequately support the widely various ways that people try to submit faxes via e-mail. T.37 is a good step at standardization, but it will not be possible to standardize what people send by hand from their GUI mail client or whatever they choose to use. So in order to make the necessary adjustments to faxmail to handle these kinds of adaptations one must recode, recompile, and reinstall faxmail. Seems to be a lot of steps to facilitate customization when procmail or shell scripting does it by design.

I'm not sure how sarcastic that was :)

It wasn't sarcastic. I try not to be. (Sarcasm is very confusing to some and very offensive to others, so I try not to use it. It still slips on occasion, but this was not one of those occassions.)

I really do think that if there is no apparent enthusiasm for it now that "if you build it, they will come".

As far as being included in the core when it's done... hang it on bugzilla and see what the -devel crowd says.

Lee.