Re: [hylafax-users] High Error Rates revisited.

On 2004.08.02 12:22 Stephen Carville wrote:

Since only a minority of the client machines
seems to be
willing to resend a rejected page it would almost be better if hylafax
just
rejected the whole thing.

There isn't a clear signal to tell the remote "I reject the whole thing".

When presented with a page of (bad/unacceptable) image data and a post-page message we have these options:

1) send MCF - confirms proper receipt of the page; allows the session to continue normally

2) send RTN - indicates that the previous page was not received properly; requires retraining to continue

3) send RTP - confirms proper receipt of the page; requires retraining to continue

4) send PIN - indicates that the previous page was not received properly; requests operator intervention and expects retraining afterwards

5) send PIP - confirms proper receipt of the page; requests operator intervention and expects retraining afterwards

6) send DCN - indicates that we are disconnecting

7) hang up without notifying the remote

Any other signal is inappropriate here and will likely only confuse the sender. The PIP/PIN signals are really only intended for non-automated systems (i.e., fax machines where you could pick up the line and talk to the sender and say, "Hey! Send that page again.") RTP and MCF would confirm the proper receipt of a bad page and would not even give the sender a chance to redeem the page. To get the page you'd certainly have to request the sender to resend the fax.

So we're left with RTN, DCN, and just plain hanging up. There is currently no way to configure HylaFAX to do anything other than RTN.

If you want to start a survey of how fax machines and other fax senders behave when getting each of these then I would be happy to enhance HylaFAX to be able to be configured to do something other than RTN. In other words, if you can discover that more fax machines will automatically call back and re-fax the bad page if we send DCN or hang up than will properly handle (by resending the bad page) RTN, then I will make you a configurable "RTNHandlingMethod" mechanism for receiving.

However, it is my guess that any fax sender that will send DCN upon receiving RTN either did so with the intent of calling back automatically or will not automatically resend the page regardless of how we handle the situation. (I.e., it doesn't matter what we do, because the fax machine has no concept of "resending" automatically.)

Lee.