Re: [hylafax-users] High Error rates

* Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [040729 16:08]:

> Normally we can work around most fax machines misbehaviors in Class 1
> (Class 2 is up to the modem manufacturer).  However, when acting as the
> receiver and we have received a corrupted page and the sender is
> awaiting a response to it's post-page signal, we have limited choices:
> MCF (confirm receipt), RTN (reject page, request retrain and
> retransmit), DCN (disconnect), or hang up.  Confirming bad pages (doing
> MCF) would be the worst mistake we could do.  Hanging up or
> disconnecting would probably get the idea across, but at least sending
> RTN will permit a spec-following intelligent sender to cope.

Just a small poing:

RTN:  Request retrain, Negative on page received
RTP:  Request retrain, Positive on page received

The spec says nothing about a "retransmit requested" right away.

Personally, I think the way HylaFAX handles it by default (RTNHandling:
retransmit) is the intelligent option.  But I think most non-HylaFAX
driver fax stuff out ther is probably more in line wiht the "ignore"
HylaFAX handling, and you just get a little something somewhere
(which most people would never know about, notice, or see) saying a
particular page was not confirmed.

If your fax is missing a page, you best call them up and get them to
re-send it...  At least until we get all the world running HylaFAX ;-)

a.
--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 438-4638 x8103