Re: [hylafax-users] Fw: use fax machine as scanner

Hi, I'm the one started this thread.

I agree sometimes we have to force the users to adapt our new working
environment. But only when we solution is mature and better than the old
fashioned ones. In my case, I prefer fax machine over scanner because :

1. it's fast: a good fax machine which cost USD500+ can scan a page in 2 or
3 seconds.
    A fast scanner can be fast too, but extremely expensive, because the
quality is better (which we may or may not need), and most important, it is
not in mass production (compared to fax machines).

2. the operation is simple : Just press a speed dial button, and there it
goes.

Before I use the "Fax machines as scanner" style, I have been thinking of a
solution to simulate fax machines operations. The solution must be :

1. The scanner works with it must be not slow style.

2. The scanner must have ADF. ( I have bought serveral HP 5XXX scanners 4
years ago, which was quite expensive at that thime. They all died more or
less just after the warranty of 1 year)

3. Speedy operation :
    Solutions come with scanners always work in manner that :
      step 1. scan the document (wait, wait, wait..., OK completed).
      step 2. pop up windows in computer that allows you to do something.
    What I want is : At the time we press a button on scanner, when the
scanning process is undergoing, the computer pop up the program to let us
choose what to do with the "being scanned" documents. The user would be
happier, since he knows, after the scanning is completed, his job is
finished, because the instruction has already been given.

I think this working style should still be accepted today. But when I gave
up this thought, SANE was not good as now, and I can't write complicated
program which is need by this client program in the computer.

What I'm considering now is, as what I've said, "using fax machines as
scanner". Hylafax alone is nearly a complete solution, except two options :
1. it must goes thru carrier, or PBX
2. it does not recognize DTMF ( I know with vgetty, it can. But implementing
it to do the following is not easy )
    Why we need DTMF? By sensing what the fax machine has dialed, hylafax
client can do whatever the user wanted.
    eg. if user pressed   #100001#, fax it to a memory [001], #100002# to
[002]...
                                  #200001#, email it to email memory [001]
                                  #300001#, store it in database, or a
directory. The owner is user [001]...
                                  #9xxxxxxxxx#, free style fax.
                                  etc...

In the future, machines like HP's document sender (model 9XXX) should be the
best. But the problem is, unlike SMTP which is a standard protocol,
hylafax's protocol is not a standard that everyone would comply to. We don't
know whether HP will use hylafax as its backup fax server.

Jason