Re: [hylafax-users] use fax machine as scanner

On 2004.07.23 08:52 A J Stiles wrote:

You could try this.  Get two telephone sockets and a 12V regulated
power
supply.  Make sure the power supply is *not* earthed.  Wire the
positive
terminal of the power supply to one of the active terminals in the
first
socket*, the other active terminal to the second socket, and the other
active
terminal of the second socket to the negative terminal of the power
supply.
Plug your FAX and modem into the two sockets, so they are in series
with one
another and the power supply.

This will allow the modem to 'hear' the tones created by the FAX
machine, but
it is as though the call was already established; there is no
provision for
dialling, ringing or the like.

Most modems and fax machines that I have tested provide their own current so that you can connect two devices directly together with a cable. Dial on one, answer on the other, and voila! The only devices that I have not seen do this properly are some (but not all) USR modems, and Comtrol RocketModems.

In fact, most HylaFAX development that I do that involves actually sending/receiving a fax occurs this way between two external modems. I send a fax, specifying the modem (sendfax -h), and then I wait for the "off-hook" LED to light up, and then I run 'faxanswer' for the other modem.

Lee.