Re: [hylafax-users] use fax machine as scanner

On Friday 23 July 2004 05:08, PG wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I've been using my fax machine as a document scanner, to fax the
> document back to my hylafax server for a few years. I have to fax them over
> telephone lines to get above done. Is there some ways that I could do it
> without going thru real telephone lines? eg serial port to serial port,
> modem to modem (linked with a plain telephone cable)?
>
> Jason

You could try this.  Get two telephone sockets and a 12V regulated power
supply.  Make sure the power supply is *not* earthed.  Wire the positive
terminal of the power supply to one of the active terminals in the first
socket*, the other active terminal to the second socket, and the other active
terminal of the second socket to the negative terminal of the power supply.
Plug your FAX and modem into the two sockets, so they are in series with one
another and the power supply.

This will allow the modem to 'hear' the tones created by the FAX machine, but
it is as though the call was already established; there is no provision for
dialling, ringing or the like.

You could always get a cheap, used PABX ..... try a business which has
outgrown its premises.  Although this solution probably will cost more than a
cheap scanner, it will be better, and sooner or later it will pay for itself
compared to the cost of telephoning yourself.  I never had any joy with cheap
scanners, even when I was using Windows.

* Active terminals:  in an RJ-11 socket  (USA and Rest of World)  the active
terminals are the middle two.  In a BT-431 socket  (UK)  the active terminals
are the next two out from the middle  (2 and 5).  In any other country,
borrow an RJ-11 adaptor and check it out with an AVO.  The polarity is
usually unimportant, most kit is not fussy.

--
Adam Stiles
Technical Manager