Re: [hylafax-users] Problem with Mail-to-fax gateway

> Besides, someone's gotta' stick up for our little faxmail. The ability
> to use 'plugin' converters is poorly understood out there in user-land,
> in my experience, and this was a chance to highlight that feature.

 Well, I think this one's going out of context a tad. Judging from the previous
messages, I don't think anybody is actually pulling faxmail down, just merely
pointing out that it's not a basic configuration of faxmail which allows for
faxing pdf's.

 Faxmail can easily cover this requirement, (and others), once properly
configured, but as with most software, requires a little time and effort to
get the setup perfect.

 This is in someways like the thread regarding faxrcvd and the ftp links when
sending the fax as an attachment with the notification email. Once again, some
minor alterations make everything work as required.

 At the end of the day, writing a piece of software which covers everyones
requirements in the way they require is nigh on impossible, as the diversity of
requirements is just so great.

 Which leads to the beauty of any *nix based system/software. You have a
perfectly working base system/software setup, which you can then extend, by
customising the said software and scripts. While hacking may indeed have been a
poorly chosen expression, (although in some cases descriptive), it is the
extensible, alterable nature of the software which gives the system it's
usability and strength.

 The summary is, (if anyone is still awake after this monotone dialogue),
faxmail is a corking little piece of kit. If it wasn't extensible, it would be
neither use nor ornament. But, as with most *nix based software, it does need to
be configured for specific needs.

Sermon mode off;-)

Matt