Re: [hylafax-users] Fax Document Mgt Best Practices

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Lee Howard wrote:

> On 2004.04.20 15:44 Bill Binko wrote:
>
> > 1) Inbound fax information is split among a TIFF image (with embedded
> > info
> > only faxinfo can extract), the commlog, and the notification email
> > (Caller-Id seems to be only there).
>
> CID/DID information is part of faxinfo as of 4.2.0.  This information
> can be extracted by anything that can read TIFF tags.

Good!  That's one less source for me to deal with :)

> > 2) Outbound fax information is split among one or more PS (or PDF)
> > files,
> > a commlog, a qfile, and sometimes a destination file (named after the
> > destination fax number).  Outbound image is never stored (see recent
> > thread).
>
> If archiving is done then most of this is stored.  The coversheet
> isn't, though.  If coversheets are valuable then they must be submitted
> as documents.

Is that an option in the protocol at this point?  Or is it something the
clients have to support?

> > 3) Both Inbound and Outbound faxes generate a massive number of files.
> > Inbound, these are in recvq and log, and Outbound, the eventually end
> > up
> > in archive.  (In 12 months with 3 fax lines, we have generated 803k
> > files)
> > One problem with this is that scripts like notify etc. barf when the
> > command line gets too long.
>
> Why is the command line getting too long?

See Below

> > 4) It is difficult to send transmission verification information to
> > our
> > customers.  (I have built a PHP script that reassembles a PDF from the
> > Q-file, PS files, and commlogs.)
>
> What was wrong with notify?  By the way, notify in 4.2.0beta2 (current
> CVS) will support the return of fax documents with the notification
> message.

I'm sorry my memory was a bit off: it wasn't 'notify' but 'archive' that
was failing.  In partiicular, this line:

COMMLOGS=`grep -l "SEND FAX: JOB $JOBID" log/*`

The log/* was huge, so the line got too long.

It's possible that this has been fixed recently as I have a modified
version of 'archive' from 4.1.6, but I believe I saw it in 4.1.8 before I
installed the custom archive script.

Thanks,
Bill