Re: [hylafax-users] modem selection

hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 04/05/2004 05:00:40 PM:

> Mostly for Lee Howard, and/or Steve Tuckner,
>
> The models and their descriptions are (according to
> http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemZPX/ )
>
> MT5634ZPX-PCI-U-NV  description: V.92 Data/Fax World Modem
> MT5634ZPX-PCI-U  description: V.92 Voice/Data/Fax World Modem
> MT5634ZPX-PCI-NV  description: V.90 Data/Fax World Modem
> MT5634ZPX-PCI  description: V.90 Voice/Data/Fax World Modem
>
> Am I correct in my understanding that, for a faxing only setup, all of
> the above are equally good and I can buy on price?
>
> I can stick to the NV models (I suspect it means "no voice") if they are
> cheaper?
>
> The V.90 to V.92 distinction is related to 56K data connections, not
> faxing, so again whichever is cheaper is fine?

V.90 and V.92 are related to faxing.  V.92 gives you the 33.6kbps faxing
option listed on the linked page as,

 "Class 1.0 and Class 2.1 faxing at speeds to V.34/33.6K bps (Super G3)."

 I'm running four multitech modems in Class 1.0 with the current CVS head
 with great success and I'm seeing probably 25% (give or take) of the faxes
 coming in using speeds greater than 14,400.  If you're doing outgoing
 faxes, this would result in saved money due to decreased long distance
 costs.  My setup is mostly incoming, but this also helps in handling more
 calls with fewer modems (I would like to think so at least).

 Chris