Re: [hylafax-users] modem selection

cwood@xxxxxxxxxx wrote on 05/04/04 09:25 PM:

hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 04/05/2004 05:00:40 PM:

Mostly for Lee Howard, and/or Steve Tuckner,

The models and their descriptions are (according to
http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemZPX/ )

MT5634ZPX-PCI-U-NV  description: V.92 Data/Fax World Modem
MT5634ZPX-PCI-U  description: V.92 Voice/Data/Fax World Modem
MT5634ZPX-PCI-NV  description: V.90 Data/Fax World Modem
MT5634ZPX-PCI  description: V.90 Voice/Data/Fax World Modem

Am I correct in my understanding that, for a faxing only setup, all of
the above are equally good and I can buy on price?

I can stick to the NV models (I suspect it means "no voice") if they are
cheaper?

The V.90 to V.92 distinction is related to 56K data connections, not
faxing, so again whichever is cheaper is fine?

V.90 and V.92 are related to faxing.  V.92 gives you the 33.6kbps faxing
option listed on the linked page as,

"Class 1.0 and Class 2.1 faxing at speeds to V.34/33.6K bps (Super G3)."

Well, my mistake. Good thing I asked. Thanks for the response.

Martin

I'm running four multitech modems in Class 1.0 with the current CVS head
with great success and I'm seeing probably 25% (give or take) of the faxes
coming in using speeds greater than 14,400. If you're doing outgoing
faxes, this would result in saved money due to decreased long distance
costs. My setup is mostly incoming, but this also helps in handling more
calls with fewer modems (I would like to think so at least).
Chris