Re: [hylafax-users] modem selection

Lee Howard wrote on 14/03/04 06:53 PM:

On 2004.03.14 12:32 An Intrepid HylaFax User wrote:

Well, for whatever reason, it seems that computer-based fax solutions
won't
ever approach the interoperability and reliability of a $20 throwaway
fax
machine despite the yeoman efforts of Lee and others.

Well, for whatever reason, a $20 throwaway fax machine won't ever approach the ability to route incoming faxes to the intended recipient by e-mail or serve as a network fax gateway for all networked outbound faxing, however.

In any case, I completely disagree with the perception that fax machines are, by nature, better than a fax modem and software combination. The HylaFAX servers that I administer are significantly more interoperable and reliable than was the Canon fax machine that I used before looking into HylaFAX.

The biggest feature difference between most fax machines and most peoples' HylaFAX installations - with respect to fax protocol - is ECM. ECM protocol compensates for a lot of bad behavior on the part of DCEs. If you want to see HylaFAX be as good (or better) than a fax machine, then install HylaFAX CVS HEAD (to be 4.2.0) and run it on a Class 1 non-USR fax modem. So to answer the original poster (assuming analog), I say to get a Class 1 non-USR fax moden and run HylaFAX CVS HEAD. If you're not willing to use CVS, then get a MultiTech MT5634 and use Class 2.0/2.1.

Mostly for Lee Howard, and/or Steve Tuckner,

The models and their descriptions are (according to http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemZPX/ )

MT5634ZPX-PCI-U-NV  description: V.92 Data/Fax World Modem
MT5634ZPX-PCI-U  description: V.92 Voice/Data/Fax World Modem
MT5634ZPX-PCI-NV  description: V.90 Data/Fax World Modem
MT5634ZPX-PCI  description: V.90 Voice/Data/Fax World Modem

Am I correct in my understanding that, for a faxing only setup, all of the above are equally good and I can buy on price?

I can stick to the NV models (I suspect it means "no voice") if they are cheaper?

The V.90 to V.92 distinction is related to 56K data connections, not faxing, so again whichever is cheaper is fine?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Martin

4.1.7 and 4.1.8 were no different from 4.1.6 except for a fix-up of Page Chopping support (which was accidentally broken in 4.1.6) and a minor security matter. So all of the past year of efforts from the -devel team cannot be found except in CVS HEAD.

Lee.