Re: [hylafax-users] Email to fax (2)

> For my own edification, is there a reason that people use email to fax
> instead of submitting postscript to Hylafax?  I feel that I'm missing
> something.

Yes you are, but it's not your fault.  It's the fault of *cough* people of
questionable intelligence mandating that they deploy a web-server driven
fax-out service despite the fact that most of their customers are using
web-browsers and email.  *SIGH*

> For the record, I also don't understand why somebody would send a FAX
> through a web page.

If you replace "emailed notifications" with "faxed notifications" vis-a-vis
a web-application, does it make any more sense?  OK, it doesn't make more
SENSE, but does the situation come in clearer focus? :)

> It seems like email-to-fax or web-to-fax is a lot more steps for the end
> user than print-to-fax...

It is, but this application (I've had to deploy) is not a "normal" fax
service in the way most people use faxes, i.e., it's not just an Internet
variation of a fax submission mechanism.

In my case, emails are generated robotically by a webserver, optionally
bearing an arbitrary number of attachments [PDF files for now], sent to an
arbitrary number of targets.  My fax processor only accepts these emails
from the issuing web-servers.

It's not a "general purpose" faxing service.

=R=