Re: [hylafax-users] additional serial ports

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 14:01, Abacus Computer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working with Pentium 3 and Redhat-Linux 8.0
>
> Does anyone know how I can put more serial ports to my computer, how much
> are possible with Linux and how does it works.
> I asked  in Linux groups before but without any information. And I think
> here are people with experience about this.

You need a multi-port serial board (it can be dumb or smart; see
cyclades for the latter).  In a pinch, and if your motherboard still has
the old 16-bit ISA slots on it, you can scrounge an old multi-I/O card
(remember those from the days when motherboards didn't have all the I/O
on-board?) and use that.  If the card uses the standard IRQs, then you
should be able to change the BIOS settings for your on-board ports.

The other way would be to use USB and USB/serial converters...

HTH, Steve

--
Stephen Arnold <arnold.steve@xxxxxxxxx>
ENSCO, Inc.