Re: [hylafax-users] problems with Multitech Modem MT 2834ZDXb

If I might just interject for a moment into this flame war:

     I've run into similar problems with a MT board(a MT5634ZPX-PCI), but I
wouldn't single out MT.  For reasons I can't fathom,  standalone fax devices
do seem to be more reliable than any fax boards from any manufacturerer
operating in fax 2.x modes.   I was a little shocked to find that my MT fax
board couldn't receive a fax in Class 2 or Class 2.0 from my father-in-law's
Panasonic fax machine, while he tells me he's never had problems sending or
receiving faxes with it.  While MT promptly replied to my questions,  they
didn't have any real solution for the Class 2/2.0 receive problem.  So I do
the same as many in this group - switch to Class 1, that I could have gotten
with a much cheaper modem.  These problems really make me wonder.   What is
so technically challenging about designing computer fax modem boards that can
be as reliable as a fax machine that you can buy nowadays at Staples or Home
Depot for under $100 ?  With all the problems with class 2/2.0 modems, as any
member on this list can attest to, it appears to me that class 1 modems can
only offer some assurance of consistency and reliablitiy because the software
can be debugged and upgraded far more easily than firmware.

George