Re: [hylafax-users] Question on modem groups

* Nicholas Bernstein <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [030918 14:18]:

> > > If you want one of three modems for inbound use only
> > > add a line
> > >
> > > ModemGroup: "any: ttyS[1,2]"
> > >
> > > in your config-file
> > >
> > > and ttyS3 will never be used for sending except when you use
> > > -h in sendfax
> >
> > And it's quite powerfull too.
> >
> > ModemGroup: "any: ttyS2"
> > ModemGroup: "ttyS1: ttyS2"
> > ModemGroup: "special: ttyds[13]"
> >
> > Will mean that no user will every be able to send directly via ttyS1.
> > They can only get at it through the "special" group, and that has both
> > modems in it.
>
> Ok, lets change this so we have a slightly different setup:
>
> ModemGroup: "any: ttyS[1,2,3,4,5]"
> ModemGroup: "ttyS1: ttyS2"
> ModemGroup: "special: ttyS[4,5]"
>
> Given that, if I do 'sendfax -h ttyS1 ...', is that going to print using
> the modem ttyS1, or ttyS2, since it's in the group ttyS1?

It will go out of ttyS2.

> If I want to send a fax using any modem in the special group, is the
> correct syntax just the -h option on sendfax?

Yup.

The -h option specifies the "device" to use.

faxq, when picking a set of devices to send on uses the following basic
algorithm:

	IF EXISTS modemgroup FOR "device"
	THEN
	   pick devices that match the regex from that modemgroup
	ELSE
	   pick device that matches "device"
	ENDIF

So, by specifying ModemGroup: "ttyS1: ttyS2", you are making a
modemgroup for the "device" ttyS1.  This means that if a job is
submitted for "device" ttyS1, it will match the modemgroup ttyS1, and
use the devices that allows.

a.
aidan@xxxxxxxxxxx                                       command like a king,