[hylafax-users] Anyone using Multitech MultiModem USB? (also: USB Update Included)

Hello everyone,

After an excruciating weekend of trial and error, I think I can now say that
the support for modern USB modems under Linux is horrible!  It seems that
since the industry has started shipping V.92 modems, it has also moved to the
"controllerless" design and the Linux developers have not been able (or
motivated to) keep up.

Our goal this weekend (see thread "Help finding multi-modem capable USB modems
(willwrite HOWTO)") was to find at least one USB modem that would support
multiple modems running Hylafax under Linux (Mandrake 9.1).  To that end, we
purchased (and have now returned):

Zoom 56K V.92 USB MiniFax Modem (Model 3090)
U.S.Robotics 56K USB FaxModem (Model 5633A)
Creative ModemBlaster V.92 USB (Sorry, didn't write down the model number:
here's the URL)
http://www.americas.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=680&category=7&maincategory=7&nav=spec

This represents all of the USB modems available in the Tampa area at stores
open on the weekend :)

I am now faced with a difficult decision.  Since I just ordered a very small
appliance-type (Micro-ITX) pc to drive this (assuming that some USB would
work), I would very much like to stick to USB.  The only major vendor I have
not tried (only because I could not find them locally) was Multitech.

Multitech has two USB modems, the MutiMobile (which I highly doubt will work,
as it is a controllerless design) and the MultiModem USB, which MIGHT work,
given the success others on this list have had with Multitech products.

Has anyone gotten the MultiModem USB to work with multiple modems under
Hylafax and Linux?  I am happy to overnight one in if I have any hope that it
will work (note the lack of faith here).  Otherwise, I will RMA the appliance
PC (minus 15% restock) and purchase a machine with 6PCI slots and drop in PCI
modems.

Thanks,
Bill

--