Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax sometimes hangs when receiving a fax.

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 06:09, Carsten Emde wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I was using Hylafax since years on a RedHat 6.1 Linux system without any
> problem (about 30 to 50 faxes per day).
>
> After upgrading to RedHat 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-14) and installing
> hylafax-4.1.5-1rh8.i386.rpm (same hardware, same modem, same
> configuration procedure), Hylafax hangs about once per day and only
> continues working after being restarted.
[snip]

I don't have anything specific to your problem (sorry) but I do have
some observations on other RedHat 8/7 problems:

1) The default locale for RH8 is (for the first time) UTF-8, which
borked some perl stuff (and who knows what else).

2) Gcc and glibc are both bleeding edge in the recent RedHats; gcc went
from 2.96 in RH7.3 to 3.2 in RH8.0, which has been the source of several
"issues", and glibc went from 2.2.5 to 2.3.2, which also can cause weird
behavior (depending on the version mix used to build the binaries).

Unless you're sure that hylafax was built with the versions currently
installed on your RH8 box, then the first thing I would do is rebuild
hylafax from src.rpm on your box and re-install from the resulting
binaries.  If that doesn't work, then perhaps the gcc 2.96 stuff on
RH7.3 would be a better platform for your fax requirements.

I can tell you I've been testing hylafax recently on both Gentoo and
RedHat 7.3 with no problems (other than my own ignorance and certain
client limitations).

HTH, Steve