Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax does not dial

Hello,

Good news: HYLAFAX is running.

I apologise for asking such an unspecific question: Hylafax does not dial!

I found out that the problem was related to the modem, which is a 56K
noname device. I took the class1 example config file and adjusted all
modem commands according to my manual. Since then everything is working
beautifully. I can now send and receive faxes.

Probably already the initialization string failed. I guess default is
ATZ. That doesn't work with my modem. I needed to kill minicom after I
used ATZ. I also use AT&F for wvdial, too.

I can even connect to the internet while hylafax and faxgetty are
running, there are no conflicts.

However, one problem persists: Hylafax changes the access rights of
ttyS1 to which my modem is connected. I have a link modem -> /dev/ttyS1
and the mode of /dev/ttyS1 is repeatedly changed from crw-rw---- to
crw-r--r--./dev/modem is owned by root:root, whereas /dev/ttyS1 is owned
by uucp:uucp.

The trouble is that wvdial/ppp cannot access the modem if the mode for
ttyS1 is 644 (instead of 660) if invoked by a normal user (not root). So
I need to be root to use wvdial/ppp with the mode of ttyS1 being 644.

Does anybody have a clue why the mode is changed.

Thanks,
Jann