Re: [hylafax-users] Mac OS X Install questions...

On 01/21/2003 11:34 AM, "Cam Coble" <tech@usacustom.com> wrote:

>> and I see a note that you can't untar the source on a HFS drive?  Why?
>> I do not have a UFS drive so how do I install or is there a work around?
>
> The reason is that the HFS uses resource forks, which aren't compatible with
> tar.
> You could use a linux machine to untar the source, and burn them to cd, or
> transfer them via network to the machine.

I don't think that this is a problem.  Creating a .tar file on an HFS volume
is fraught with peril (at least, if you're attempting to do it for backup
reasons), but untarring should work just fine.

Of course, if you're on Mac OS X, you should also be able to use Stuffit
Expander (v7 at least, please) to do the untarring, just in case you don't
trust the command line version.

But the reason that tar is always warned against on Mac OS X is for the
creation problem -- not the extraction problem.

HTH,
Ricky Morse